My Favorite Books of 2013

So the end of the year is nigh, which means it’s time for the 2013 countdowns to begin. I had the pleasure of reading so many good books this year, and of the ones published this year, these were (in no particular order) my favorite five:

Photo credit: Goodreads

I posted a review here for the second book of the Shatter Me trilogy, but to take a quote from that review, “Unravel Me will take your emotions, rip them up, stomp on them, set them on fire, then hand them back to you with a wink and a smile.”

Yeah. That basically sums it up.

Unravel Me is an incredible sequel that’ll have you racing through the pages. I loved it and I can’t wait for Ignite Me to be released early next year.

Photo credit: Goodreads


Again, I’ve already raved about how awesome this book is, but Siege and Storm is the second book to what is turning out to be one of my favorite YA fantasy series ever. Between the awesome Russian-inspired setting, some truly incredible characters including my favorite antagonist ever, a great magic system and an interesting plot, I can’t recommend this series more.

Photo credit: Goodreads


Unsurprisingly, this is another one I’ve already reviewed (I tend to do that to my favorites), but this an an unexpected favorite for me. I hadn’t heard all that much about Ink, and I think it deserves a lot more buzz because it’s a fantastic book with a beautiful setting and a truly unique magic system. Ink was a wonderful read and I’m definitely looking forward to the next installment.


Photo credit: Goodreads

So this one did get quite a bit of buzz, and it was well-deserved. I’d heard people raving about how exciting and unputdownable it was long before I finally picked up my copy, and they were right. Cassie is an interesting protagonist with a great voice, the pacing is breakneck awesomeness and the next book really needs to be published already.

Photo credit: Goodreads


Now for something totally different—or at least, different for me.

I don’t read a lot of contemporary romance—in fact, before Losing It, which I read before Faking It, the last contemporary novel I’d read was The Fault in Our Stars back in 2012. But you guys, I loved this book. Max has to be one of my favorite female leads and Cade is easily one of my favorite book boyfriends. Their story was hilarious and awkward and heartwarming and I couldn’t have loved it more.

What are some of your favorite books of the year?

Twitter-sized bites: 
Writer @Ava_Jae shares her favorite five books of 2013. Are any on your list? (Click to tweet)

7 comments:

Ava Jae said...

Your first draft process sounds very similar to mine. I also find that I often don't really know my characters until part-way through the first draft (or sometimes later, depending), and my descriptions and world-building are definitely sparse to say the least, in a first draft. It's all part of the process!

Michelle Irwin said...

This is me too! I'm definitely an adder. I always find my characters have much more to tell me the second time around and the locations become a little more real.

Ava Jae said...

Yes! I love the way you put that, too. That's exactly what it's like. :)

Laura Rueckert said...

Thank you for the recs! Perfect timing considering my Christmas gift cards :) Just bought the first Grisha book.

Emma said...

Loved it! It was highly creative and humorous.

Ava Jae said...

Thanks, Emma! ^_^

Ava Jae said...

That's awesome! Happy reading! (And you're very welcome!) :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...